Weak students come in all sizes and shapes. Sometimes kids come from borderline Special Education, other children have learning disabilities or behavior problems and some just hate the subject because of negative learning experiences.But all of them are part of the biggest concerns teachers have in their classroom management and teaching practice.
Dorit Sasson from Suite 101.com has been working on this kind of issue presents some tips and startegies to build up a sucessful learning program,"If you do however teach weak students in whatever grade, here are some tips and strategies on how to build up a successful learning program:
1. Get as much information as you can about each pupil. It makes the beginning of the year much easier. At least you can approach each according to his or her needs.
2.Bring with you a great deal of humor
3.Bring a lot of love and care
4.Make sure you have a serious program.
5.Look for a positive point in each student. Make them feel good and tell them!
6.Contact the parents as soon as possible.
7.Be very consistent in checking homework.
8.Give a mark for most of the work they produce
9.It is important to use successful methodological techniques in order to fill the gap between what weaker students know and what you teach them.
Write your comments on thses tips and tell us if you agree or disagree withy the author and explain why.
Open Forums
As pre-service and in-service teachers ,we have to deal with several isuuses related to teaching,learning,mind operations,classroom management,among others.Sharing ideas and discussing situations,cases, and strategies can be helpful to find an answer to our questions.
This will be the best space to have an open forum to participate as much as we can.
Parcticipe en los foros abiertos.
This will be the best space to have an open forum to participate as much as we can.
Parcticipe en los foros abiertos.
EXPERTS-SL
Saturday, 4 October 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

17 comments:
I'm totally agree with the whole tips and strategies given by the author because is very important getting some extra information of our students in order to know about his behaviour and how this one involves everything about him, besides, with all this information in our hands, we could create an appropiate way to explode and get the maximum learning from each student.
in other hand is important too,providing them day by day with a relaxing environment in which they interact easily and feel familiarized and confident with the teacher, the other students and himself... (Sandra Manchola)
I agree with all those tips because it is very important to know all aspects about the students, taking into account that students are involved into a cultural enviroment and it determines intrinsic motivation and behaviour's students and it is important also to know perception chanels since this knowledge is important to motivate students and to get good results in the learning process.
Sandra, Arieta: Thanks for your comments here.They will be taken into account for you second mid term of the semester.
Martha
I'm agree with author, because a good teacher is not only the person who works trying to give information to kids about topics, but is a person who can see in students the future of the the humanity. I my own cause as techer in my practicum I can see that my students have another chance in english to act and be like themselves, that make me feel so happy, because that means I'm giving them to learn having fun and enjoying this part of their lives that is the most important in their growing about knowledge and their growing about great humans.
I agree with this tips. I think is important to get information of each pupil because it can be useful to understand them and why they behave bad or well but I also think that in the majority of the cases, we as teachers, can not do much thihgs to help students, for example if a child suffers violence in his or her house how i as teacher can change that? I can not. there are situation that we can not handle. the only thing we can do is make the students happy in our classes,and we can do it bringing a lot of love, care, humor and transmiting happines.we have to be happy people, and this always have to be in our minds, we have to work on this because sometimes we, as teachers,feel frustrated and angry towards children.
I have discovered myself talking about students who do not work, students who bother the others, students who do not pay attention, students who grumble, etc, but as the tip five suggests we have to look for a positive point in each student, it help us seeking to new ways to motivate these specific students and change their attitude to our class. Instead of label students in a bad way we can do it in a good way, it is going to encourage them and, at the same time, it is going to make the development of the class better. I think that tip 5 is the most difficult to do.
I agree with Dorit Sasson because it is of paramount importance that teachers are worried about how to teach to special children and how to motivate them, nevertheless I believe teachers should have a special training in dealing with those students because they need special activities, special methodologies and techniques and it is responsibility of teachers to learn how to manage them and encourage them in the class, we have to be good teachers because we can not just to ignore them and isolate them, personally I think we as teachers have to be awared about the learning problems children have though in the practicum it is difficult because there is not a total process, I mean it would be better if we had the opportunity to be with the students more time in order to know in depth their needs, learning styles and so forth.
We as teachers have to identify and manage the problems and main factors our students have during their second language acquisition process.
- The age at which children begin using language ranges widely.
- anxious parents of late talkers often are told not to worry. But children who are slow to begin talking often continue to have weakness in language-related skills for years, even if they seem to catch up with their peers by the time they enter school.
Late talkers may subtly lag in vocabulary, grammar, reading and spelling as they progress through school.
We need to use strategies such as talking slowly and repetitive patterns in speaking to reinforce what was being said.
Parents, too, can use rhyming and word games, memory games, and activities that draw a child into conversation to stimulate language. Reading to children, even after they can read themselves, builds vocabulary.
We know it will manifest itself as mild weaknesses in some areas, but parents should be prepared to help them with that, so we’re not only children teacher, also, adults and families teachers.
I think that is important to take into account those tips in order to improve our way to teach. We have to deal with lots of problems in the classroom and those tips can help us, but I want that those tips don't be just in letters or in a piece of paper, we have to actually implement that in our classroom, remember that "the best teaching is not from head to head, the best way is to teacher from hearth to hearth"
i totally agree
i tatally agree, with the author, becouse i consider that it is important, the role of the teacher is more that teach somenthing, it is an human experience that has to be done with love and comitment.
the role of the parents is so important and the teacher has to be a good tool and chanel of communication about the learning process of the child.
Hi all of you.Thanks a lot for your comments.They are important as we learn from experience and from own reflection done on our performance.
Martha
It is a pity not all of you understand the opportunity given here through this forum to enrich own perceptions and knowledge on different teaching issues.
As a matter of fact, the only way to learn is by socializaing knowledge and experience we acquire.I exhort each one of you to participate until Wednesday afternoon)in this forum.After this deadline,it will be closed.
I would like to know more about the practices you are following in your classrooms.Observations cannot give a complete picture of it.
Thanks a lot.
Martha
I'm totally in agreement with the author and with the tips given because a teacher is not only a person who goes to a classroom to provide students with knowledge but also is a person who must be concerned with students' lives; they are the future of humankind. for instance to know about the different problems children have at home, but some of those problems we can't give them a solution, for example a parents' divorce is something irremediable. so, in order to create a comfortable atmosphere for our students, a space full of love, care, happiness, and all good things transmitting positivism, because remember, your attitudes are mirrors on what you do/make into the classroom because if you demonstrate a bad mood, students will feel it.
I consider that sometimes it can be a little difficult when we as teachers try to know more about our students because maybe some of them can be in a distance or warned position, but of course it is vital in order to improve our performance and to guide our activities according to the students' needs and interests. Furthermore, during my experience sometimes I have been a little bit stressed and only when I took a calm position and relax myself is when I have done a better class because of my disposition which affects the environment.
I wionder why the rest of your classmates did not use the forum to express ideas and doubts regarding their practicum.It was a space opened for those issues.Martha
Sorry, forum 2 is closed now.
Martha
Post a Comment