What can you say about these two videos? Do you agree with the expert about children learning? What do you think about the the learning process the student explains in the video?
Take a stand and support your ideas.Follow your classmates ´comments and write yours .
Open Forums
As pre-service and in-service teachers ,we have to deal with several isuuses related to teaching,learning,mind operations,classroom management,among others.Sharing ideas and discussing situations,cases, and strategies can be helpful to find an answer to our questions.
This will be the best space to have an open forum to participate as much as we can.
Parcticipe en los foros abiertos.
This will be the best space to have an open forum to participate as much as we can.
Parcticipe en los foros abiertos.
EXPERTS-SL
Saturday, 13 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
Hi all of you.I am not going to comment the videos before you watch them and write your impressions.Teachers as experts in the classroom management and students as participants in courses have a lot to say regarding language learning.
Martha
As teachers we have to observe two things in children: the input and the output, becuase through the output the teacher can watch over and realize what are happening inside the children. In order to know if they are learning or not.
According to the second video, many times teachers tend to think that children are learning because they repeat literacy everything as we say and i think this is a mechanistic learning rather than being significative.
Arieta,interesting comment.What do you mean by repeat literacy? do you refer to literary? or? I agree with your idea on meaningful learning?Do we really enhance and promote memaningful learning in our classes?
All of you are invited to participate with your comments and expereinces.Martha
I agree with the expert because teachers have to make the knowledge meaningful to children, we have to teach them using the context and it is also important to teach them read with a fully understanding that is how can they apply the knowledge but it is sometimes difficult because, for instance, in our school children have not had a reading process, but at the end this is one more challenge for us.
I think these videos are closely related to our current situation in clssrooms because learning must be something really meaningful for students, they must appropriate their knowledge in a good way, and another important aspect is the use of realia, it means, we, as teachers must contextualize learning into classrooms because this process is not just to teach and no more, is a matter of making teaching and learning two reflective processes.
finally I consider the tendency most teachers have of believing that repetition is the only way for students to learn English is wrong. for that reason, contextalization and meaningful learning are clues for effective learning
I consider that the main problem as Dr. Louisa Moats said is that we as teachers need to be well prepared to develop in the appropriate way the reading skill in our students since we have not had the suitable preparation and for example in my case when I had to prepare my lesson plan focus on reading it was so difficult because I did not know what could be the most useful activity according to the students' level. I know that reading is the best way to develop different competences and that it must be to learn, enjoy and understand but I believe that we need more preparation to do the best.
Good afternoon everybody, I agree with Katherin, I think that we have to know better how to do reading activities with our children because is an important skill.
I think that the real problem is that we as teacher should have an excelent preparation in all the skills, because if we don`t have the necessary knowledge is impossible teach in a correct way, and this problem whit the time is reflected in our students, maybe in the future they could have some problems and this happen because they didn`t have a good learning process. for that reason is necessary that we research it on our own, about differents ways so that our teaching process will be more effective in our students.
I think the comment of Dr is so useful to make a reflection in order to conduct our strategies to teach in the best way students in our practicum and life.
Something that make me feel so happy is that in my practicum I have been applying all the comunicative skylls in class, thats why I have noticed that the progress of my students in first grade in english have been really
amazing, because now they are loving have classes in english, and they ask for more English all the time.
Doctor Louisa Moats asserts that teachers are not well prepared to become good teacher at reading, I totally agree with that because I lived it two weeks ago when we had to plan a reading class, I did not how to do it, I felt absolutely lost, so I sought information to help me and finally I could plan my class, nevertheless, last week, when I developed my lesson plan I found that sometimes the teaching reading theories seems to be wonderful but students are not as willing as they think, therefore they do not work very good in the practice. If we are not the only ones who have problem in teaching reading it must be because there is something missing in the teachers’ formation.
in the first video I can notice that the adult has had a good experience in her process of learning English, she says that she found difficult the stress and accents when she was hearing conversations. Something she said and called my attention was when she expressed the useful of the English because is a big opportunity to communicate with other people, I think this is the most important reason to learn another language and we, as teacher, should show that to our students because when we learn to achieve a goal or with a purpose in mind and this is strong, the process of learning will be significant and the results will be better and if we have difficulties, as that woman had, we can over come them.
In the second video the expert says that teachers are not well prepared to teach how to read I think our project should be evaluate the classes that I have because sometimes these are not well thought, or the contents are not the appropriate to the real education that Colombia have. But also is important that we look for theories and something that can help us to solve the problems in our classes.
I think the reading process is important to improve the comprehension of our students about the world, actually, if we had a better level of reading maybe our lives, environment, and country change. That is one of the things that develop countries have
The doctor moats points at two main problems in the field of education. the first one is related to the bad preparation of teachers for teaching, the new teacher doesn't know how to face some aspects given in real contexts because didn't have enough preparation at university and the second one is how the teacher has lost the "practical" way of teaching with a certain percussion in his students' processes. I think that the pedagogical experience at our university must have more emphasis than the other subjects that we take, it's pretty important for us as teachers learning english but the most important thing in a higher level than the english itself is knowing and interacting from the beginning of the career with real contexts, the real introduction into teaching could be a big part of the solution of not to be prepared as well as is ideal.
Hi all of you,thanks for writing here your comments.A pity that not all of your classmates wrote here.
Martha
Post a Comment